Join an organisation where you’re on a fast track for growth... whatever that looks like for you. Whether you are focused on growing your career, your family or yourself, Edward River Council is wide open for opportunity. We are growing our services and our region, and we’re looking for dynamic leaders and specialists to join our high-performing team.
You are an analytical and results-driven individual with senior level experience in financial accounting, financial reporting, external audit and statutory compliance. You have experience in senior-level roles and relish the challenge of having oversight responsibility of organisational key finance functions. You have a Bachelor of Accounting and/or are a Certified Practicing Accountant or similar and have strong financial acumen with exceptional attention to detail.
You're a team player with a strong work ethic who can balance a busy workload and get the work done on time. You are a fantastic communicator who can deliver key financial messages and information to team members with both finance and non-finance backgrounds – you make it easy! And most importantly, you are ready to step into your next challenge in the arena of local government!
About your new role:
As our Financial Accountant, you work as the Chief Financial Officer’s right hand. You’ll be responsible for working closely with business leaders and budget owners to better understand the numbers in order for them to make informed decisions. You will have accountability for Council’s key finance functions, such as financial accounting, financial reporting, external audit and statutory compliance. You will liaise with a variety of external stakeholders from government departments and non-government agencies to external auditors and the Australian Tax Office.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, you will:
- Coordinate and report on the Financial Accounting team contribution to the annual Operational Plan, other relevant strategies and plans, supporting achievement of service and project delivery targets and timely reporting of service performance.
- Monitor the Financial Accounting team budgets, supporting cost effectiveness, achievement of budget targets, delivery of savings and innovations, and accurate reporting of budget performance.
- Provide financial accounting advice and services to support the achievement of Council’s objectives, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation, the Local Government Act 1993 and Local Government Regulation, and Office of Local Government Code of Accounting.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and customer service excellence that supports sustainable financial management.
- Lead, develop and coordinate the Financial Accounting team in a way that is consistent with Council’s values, policies and systems.
- Identify, implement and monitor safe work practices for the Financial Accounting team and service risk in line with Council's WHS policies and procedures.
- Coordinate the preparation of statutory returns and reports in accordance with Australian Accounting Standards, including financial statements, annual Local Government Grants Commission returns and operating statements.
- Coordinate the delivery of Council’s annual external audit process and the internal audit process to ensure the internal audit and external audit plans are delivered.
Do you have these key attributes:
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and develop staff consistent with a culture of customer service excellence and Council’s values – Leadership, Excellence, Accountability and Delivery.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills, including the ability to analyse and interpret information from different sources to proactively identify issues and formulate pragmatic, business focused strategies to address them.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to prepare accurate and timely documentation such as reports, presentations and procedures.
What's on offer?
- The opportunity to make your mark in this new role, as the right hand to the Chief Financial Officer to lead Edward River Council’s key finance functions.
- A full-time, permanent role with the Edward River Council.
- Flexible working arrangements including hybrid and remote options.
- Salary range $98,468 to $122,973 plus 11% super.
Essential qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor of Accounting or similar, and Certified Practicing Accountant or equivalent.
- Contemporary knowledge and experience of budgeting, financial management reporting and management accounting concepts, preferably in a multi-entity environment with cost allocations and partnering with key stakeholders while maintaining collaborative and effective relationships
- Contemporary experience implementing strategies and plans to deliver service unit objectives within scope and in accordance with policy and processes
- Demonstrated understanding and competence in contemporary risk management and Work Health and Safety principles and practice
- National Police Check or the willingness to obtain
- Current Drivers Licence.
Why work at Edward River Council:
At Edward River Council, our values are not just words on a page – they guide our decisions, actions, and the way we interact with each other and our community. Embrace an environment that fosters:
- Leadership: Lead with empathy and integrity.
- Excellence: Continually strive for excellence in service delivery.
- Accountability: Commit to transparency and honesty in all dealings.
- Delivery: Dedicate yourself to outstanding community service.
We are committed to fostering a workplace that is inclusive, diverse, and conducive to both personal and professional growth. When you join us, you become part of a team dedicated to delivering results for our community and outstanding service to our customers. We welcome applications from people with disability and aim to provide an inclusive and accessible workplace. If you need assistance with the application process, please contact Council’s People and Culture team.
Discover a new era in local government:
Be a part of an organisation where your contributions truly matter.
Apply today to be Edward River Council's Financial Accountant.
Applications close on 8am Monday 04 December 2023.
Before submitting your application, please take the time to read the position description.
Your application should include:
- Cover letter addressing the essential criteria outlined in the job description and the attributes as listed above (max 2 page)
- Your current resume (max 2 pages)
Applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com.
For further information on the opportunity, please contact the hiring manager:
Belinda Langlands, Chief Financial Officer
03 5898 3000