Join an organisation where you’re on a fast track for growth... whatever that looks like for you. Whether you are focused on growing your career, your family or yourself, Edward River Council is wide open for opportunity. We are growing our services and our region, and we’re looking for transformational leaders to join our high-performing team.
You are an experienced local government governance and risk professional and a dynamic people leader. You have a personal and professional commitment to the principles of good governance, particularly accountability, transparency and compliance which you actively demonstrate in the way you show up to work. You lead by example when it comes to upholding the organisation’s commitment to making safety our number one priority. You are an effective communicator with the ability to build and manage key relationships, and you are courageous in your advice even when it’s unpopular. You have a demonstrated ability to work in partnership with leadership teams as a trusted advisor, and have well-developed governance, risk and safety capabilities and leadership experience.
About your new role:
A new role for Council, we are looking for a highly capable and committed Manager of Governance, Safety & Risk to lead, enhance and embed our strategic governance, safety and risk management frameworks and processes. This is a real opportunity to be part of a new era for Council, where you will play an important part in shaping our governance, risk and safety strategies for the future.
Reporting directly to the Director of Corporate Services, you will:
- Lead a small team of professionals to deliver high quality, enabling governance, risk and safety services for Council.
- Develop and monitor the corporate governance framework, building on the public integrity of the organisation, and provide advice to key stakeholders on matters relating to good governance.
- Lead, maintain and improve governance, risk and workplace safety strategies to improve probity, transparency, accountability and safety and risk management.
- Provide leadership, policy direction and guidance to Council in the development and delivery of a workplace safety program to minimise risk of injury to Council employees, contractors, volunteers and the public.
- Manage Council’s insurance portfolio in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Manage Council’s internal audit and risk functions, including the Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee
Do you have these key attributes:
- Senior level experience in local government governance
- Strong leadership skills to guide a multi-disciplinary team.
- Comprehensive understanding of the Local Government and Work Health & Safety Acts.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and communications skills.
- Exceptional organisational skills with an ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Strong business partnering skills and proficiency in stakeholder collaboration, conflict management, and negotiation.
- Ability to think strategically and implement innovative solution.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and customer service excellence.
What's on offer?
- The opportunity to make your mark in this new role by building a new, dedicated governance, safety and risk function.
- A full-time permanent role in a vibrant and supportive work environment.
- Flexible work arrangements, including hybrid options.
- Competitive salary range $111,223 to 138,902 plus 11% super.
- Vehicle options.
- Opportunity for professional development.
- Involvement in a wide range of community and corporate projects.
Essential qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Law, Business, or similar.
- Experience in Local Government
- Contemporary knowledge and working understanding of the requirements and obligations of the Local Government and Work Health & Safety Acts and related legislation.
- Contemporary experience developing and implementing strategies and plans relating to governance, safety and/or risk
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, develop and manage staff consistent with a culture of customer service excellence and Council’s values – Leadership, Excellence, Accountability and Delivery.
- Working with Children and National Police Check or willingness to obtain.
- Current Driver's Licence.
- Knowledge of Technology One software.
- Audit or investigation qualifications or experience.
Why work at Edward River Council:
At Edward River Council, our values are not just words on a page – they guide our decisions, actions, and the way we interact with each other and our community. Embrace an environment that fosters:
- Leadership: Lead with empathy and integrity.
- Excellence: Continually strive for excellence in service delivery.
- Accountability: Commit to transparency and honesty in all dealings.
- Delivery: Dedicate yourself to outstanding community service.
We prioritise Work Health & Safety, ensuring our employees have a secure environment. We also believe in fairness and inclusivity, with a focus on building a diverse workforce. We welcome applications from people with disability and aim to provide an inclusive and accessible workplace. If you need assistance with the application process, please contact Council’s People and Culture team.
Discover a new era in local government:
Be a part of an organisation where your contributions truly matter. Apply today to be Edward River Council's first Manager Governance, Safety & Risk.
Applications close on 8am Monday 04 December 2023.
Before submitting your application, please take the time to read the position description.
Your application should include:
- Cover letter addressing the essential criteria outlined in the job description and the attributes as listed above (max 2 page)
- Your current resume (max 2 pages)
Applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on the opportunity, please contact the hiring manager:
Shelley Jones – Director Corporate Services
03 5898 3000