Edward River Council was proclaimed on 12 May 2016, following the amalgamation of the former Conargo Shire Council and Deniliquin Council into one strong, cohesive and dynamic organisation.
Edward River Council provides services and support to a community of approximately 9,000 permanent residents across a region covering 8,881 square kilometres, including the town of Deniliquin and the six rural villages of Blighty, Booroorban, Conargo, Mayrung, Pretty Pine and Wanganella.
Between May 2016 and September 2017, Council was led by a NSW Government-appointed Administrator who was responsible for overseeing the implementation of the new Edward River Council.
This administration period formally ended on Thursday, 21 September 2017 after the Councillors elected at the Saturday, 9 September 2017 poll were sworn in. At this post-election meeting, Cr Norm Brennan and Cr Pat Fogarty were elected Mayor and Deputy Mayor, respectively.
Here are some stats:
Edward River Council
- No. Employees – 117 (Women – 28%, Men – 72%)
- No of services we provide to the community - 30
- Annual budget - $24.2M (2019)
- Km of roads – 1598.76km
- No. Rateable properties - 5018
Edward River area info
- Geographic area – 888,344.6ha or 8,881 sq km
- Population - 9084
- Average household size – 2.3
- Median Age – 43.8
- Population born overseas - 568
- Population growth – 1.01%
- Avg summer and winter temperatures – Summer 31, Winter - 15
- Median house price - $238,000
- Size of labour force – 3916 employed over the age of 15
To see an overview of the Edward River Council area including a more detailed map, click below.
Edward River Council LGA profile
Edward River Council LGA economic information