Emergencies and Disasters


24 Hour Emergency Phone Numbers

  • NSW Rural Fire Service, Ambulance, Police - 000
  • State Emergency Services  - 132 500
  • Lifeline - 131 114
  • Kids Helpline - 1800 551 800
  • Deniliquin Hospital - (03) 5882 2800
  • Deniliquin Mental Health Awareness Group - 0409 038 354
  • Country Energy (electricity or gas) - 132 356
  • Supply Interruptions - 132 080

Other useful links include:

An Ambulance Station is located at 172-174 Dick Street, Deniliquin. In case of emergency call 000.

A Fire Station is located at 264 George Street, Deniliquin. To report all fires call 000.

A Police Station is located at 7 Hardinge Street, Deniliquin. In case of emergency call 000.

NSW Rural Fire Service Mid Murray office incorporates the Edward River Council local government area.  To report fires call 000.

The Deniliquin-Conargo SES Unit is the local combat agency for floods and storms. For emergency assistance in floods and storms call 132 500.


A range of assistance is now available to the Edward River region through the Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.

Flood Recovery Assistance

As a result of the recent heavy rains and flooding in late 2016, the NSW Government has declared the Edward River region a Natural Disaster Area.

If you have been affected by the recent flooding, you may want to investigate some of the services and assistance that have been made available, including:

  • Mental health and crisis support;
  • Housing assistance;
  • Replacing certificates and licenses;
  • Assistance with livestock and animals;
  • Household support;
  • Insurance inquiries; and
  • Legal assistance.

You can find details on the Emergency NSW website. Alternatively, you can call the Disaster Assistance help line on 1800 018 444.

Disaster Recovery Assistance

Edward River Council is one of 36 local government areas receiving assistance through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).

Assistance under the NDRRA includes:

  • Help for eligible whose homes or belongings have been damaged;
  • Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and not-for-profit organisations;
  • Freight subsidies for primary producers; and
  • Grants to not-for-profit organisations.

You can find further details at Disaster Assist or Emergency NSW.

Assistance for Primary Producers

NSW Department of Primary Industries (NSW DPI) and Local Land Services (LLS) coordinate and provide recovery assistance and advice to landholders, primary producers, commercial fishers and other industries.

Murray LLS is encouraging farmers across the Edward River region to report flood damage including agricultural losses, damaged crops and stranded, injured or deceased livestock.

Farmers can report flood damage to LLS on 1300 795 299 or complete the online form here. This form is not a claim for compensation, but a reporting mechanism to assist LLS and the Rural Assistance Authority to assess the extent of damage to determine if this area (MIA and other) can be declared as a natural disaster, which may allow farmers to receive compensation. The form is to be completed and returned to the LLS office (Murray Rd) or as per the details on the form.

For further information on assistance for primary producers, visit the Climate and Emergencies section of the NSW DPI website, or visit the Murray LLS website.

Assistance Resources