Edward River 1.jpg


Works along the river generally require development consent from Council. These works fall into the term of ‘bed and bank works’ and can include retaining walls, moorings, jetties, pontoons, and dredging. These development applications are usually an integrated development application, meaning that State Government agencies such as the NSW Office of Water and the Department of Primary Industries (NSW Fisheries) will assess the application at the same time as Council.  

Council’s Factsheet 6 Understanding Integrated Development provides information about how integrated development works.

Development Application Process

The process for lodging this type of development application will involve a number of referrals to State Government agencies and the development application will be subject to public exhibition. Public exhibition includes advertisements in local media, letters to adjoining owners and signs being placed on site.

There are two types of referrals to State Government Agencies. General referrals are done under the Murray Regional Environmental Plan where comments are provided by agencies to Council about the development. Integrated development referrals are done to those agencies nominated under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act. These integrated development referrals are assessed by these agencies and if they are satisfied that the development can proceed they will issue a ‘General Terms of Approval’ (i.e. conditions under which the development can be approved). Once the ‘General Terms of Approval’ are issued, Council will continue with its assessment of the application. If they do not issue a ‘General Terms of Approval’, Council cannot approve the development application.  

The flowchart below gives you an overview of the development application process for bed and bank works.

Post Development Consent

If development consent is granted for the work, you will be required to obtain a construction certificate from Council or a private certifier and a controlled activity approval from the NSW Office of Water.  You must obtain these approvals prior to commencing any work on site.

Development Application Submission

Council has prepared a checklist listing all of the documentation required to be submitted with your development application. You are required to submit four hard copies of all the documents/plans to Council along with one electronic copy of all the documentation.  

Development Application Form

The development application form is to be completed including signatures from all owners of the property.  You can use Council’s Application Guide to assist in completing this form.  Fees are associated with the lodgement of the development application. Council’s Environmental Services team can give you a quote for these fees.

Statement of Environmental Effects

The statement of environmental effects provides details on how the development may impact on the environment and possible mitigation methods. You can use Council’s standard Statement of Environmental Effects template to provide this information. Click here(PDF, 195KB) to view an example of a statement of environmental effects for this type of development.

Site Photos

Photos of the site assist with visualising the site particularly for those State Government agencies that are not located in Deniliquin. Click here(PDF, 1MB) to view an example of site photos for this type of development.

Site Plan

A site plan shows the location of the proposed work in relation to your property.  The site plan should show the existing structures on site, be to scale (eg 1:100, 1:200) and should include a north point. Plans are to be labelled with the address of the site.  Click here(PDF, 3MB) to view an example of a site plan for this type of development.

Construction Plans

Plans are to show elevation and details of construction, material etc.  Plans are to be to scale (eg 1:100, 1:200) and should include a north point.  Plans are to be labelled with the address of the site. Click here(PDF, 349KB) to view an example of construction plans for this type of development.

Work Method Statement

The work method statement is to explain how you intend to carry out the proposed works. Click here(PDF, 11KB) to view an example of a work method statement for this type of development.

Justification of Works

The justification of works statement must explain why you are doing the proposed works, what other methods you have considered and why you have chosen the method proposed. Click here(PDF, 16KB) to view an example of a justification of works for this type of development.

Vegetation Management Plan

The vegetation management plan must include details of any vegetation to be removed and why it is being removed and also details of any vegetation you intend to plant which should include details of the species of vegetation you are proposing to plant. The construction and site plans are to identify vegetation to be removed and vegetation to be planted. Click here to view an example of a vegetation management plan for this type of development.

Aboriginal Cultural Heritage

This type of development are usually carried out in archaeologically sensitive locations and involve excavation and/or ground works.  A Due Diligence Assessment is required to be completed and submitted with your development application.  More information about the Due Diligence Assessment can be found on the Office of Environment and Heritage website.

Other Guidelines

There are also a number of guidelines that you can access to assist you with preparing your development application by going to the National Resources Access Regulator website