The widely acclaimed Waring Gardens, a feature of the CBD, are named after the town's first Town Clerk, John Waring. Established in 1888 the area was set up largely as a Botanic Garden testing a number of trees and shrubs for their suitability for Deniliquin climate and soil type. A band rotunda and a fountain within a creeper covered rotunda were erected in 1891. The lagoon system running throughout the town centre is a feature of the gardens which is enhanced by a footbridge. On the corner of Edwardes & Cressy Streets stand the marble sculptures known as the Three Muses, representing Art, Science and Literature. They were made in Italy from the best Sicilian marble and originally were a feature of the old School of Arts building. They were relocated to their present position in 1997 after a 12 month restoration.
The gardens are available for events including weddings, markets, and concerts.
Napier St, Deniliquin 2710 View Map