Water Supply

Water Supply

The town of Deniliquin owns over 115 kilometres of water mains, and more than 5500 other forms of water assets (including Treatment Plant, reservoirs, hydrants, valves and meters). The Council not only maintains the existing water infrastructure by cleaning and repairing the pipes, but also by upgrading or replacing them as necessary.

Water supplied to residents from the Council water supply are charged per kilolitre as per the annual Fees and Charges .

Frequently Asked Questions

How often are we billed?

If you are on a metered supply, you will be billed four times a year, every three months. Readings occur September, December, March and June.

What type of Water Treatment Facility do we have?

The water treatment facility is situated in Lloyd Street. Water is pumped from the Edward River approximately 1.8 kilometres to the Treatment Facility.

The facility uses the  conventional treatment processes of:

  • Flocculation (make the coagulation process more efficient);
  • Coagulation (to bind dirt particles together and make them easier to filter);
  • Filtration (removal of dirt particles);
  • Chlorination (to kill bacteria);
  • Fluoridation (to improve tooth health in Deniliquin); and
  • Addition of Powder Activated Carbon (to treat taste and odour issues).

Where does our water supply come from?

There are three catchments for the Edward River water supply:

  • The Edward River
  • A stand-alone bore site (in drought only)
  • The Mulwala canal (in drought only)

Where do I get a water connection form?

Is there a Council owned water main fronting your property? If so, fill out Form 16 Local Activity(PDF, 770KB) . You can find the associated fees and charges in our approved (Fees and Charges)(PDF, 2MB). Once approved and paid, we’ll send our team out to complete the connection. 

How do I know if there is a boil water alert?

  • Consumer complaints and Council’s quality testing together are used to establish the need for a Boil Water Alert
  • Boil water alerts are issued in extreme cases.
  • Council must liaise with NSW Health when issuing a boil water alert
  • Boil water alerts will be notified in local papers, on the radio and on television. High risk areas (e.g. hospital and aged care) will be notified individually

In situations where problems are experienced with plumbing within private property, such as unseeable leaks or broken pipework inside the property it is the responsibility of the property owner or occupier and they should engage a registered plumber. The plumber should follow a standard procedure in attending leak.

Water Restrictions

Council is continually reviewing these restrictions and encourages the community to monitor this space for any updates or changes.

There are currently no water restrictions in place in the Edward River Council region.

Saving Water

Edward River Council is a member of the savewater!® Alliance which offers consumers a range of water conservation programs.

The savewater!® Alliance works with member water businesses, government agencies and product companies to deliver water conservation programs throughout Australia. For water saving tips, take a look at the web resources and practical programs at savewater!®.