Construction Certificates


Although you may have Development Consent for your proposal, you will require a Construction Certificate for any building work. A Construction Certificate is approval for building or subdivision work.

What is a Construction Certificate?

Although you may have Development Consent for your proposal, you will require a Construction Certificate for any building work. A Construction Certificate is approval for building or subdivision work certifying that:

  • The submitted plans and specifications comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA), including associated structural standards and codes or where is applies to subdivision work, that it complies with relevant standards and Council controls for infrastructure construction;
  • The detailed construction plans and specifications are consistent with the development consent plans and conditions; and
  • All relevant conditions of the development consent have been satisfied prior to issue of Construction Certificate.

A construction certificate lapses at the same time as the development consent issued for the proposal. Typically this is five years after the development consent is issued.

Do I need a Construction Certificate?

If you have applied for a Development Application and received Development Consent for your proposal, you may require a Construction Certificate before you begin any building or subdivision work. However if you applied for a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) and received approval, you do not need a separate Construction Certificate and can begin work.

Who can apply for a Construction Certificate?

Generally, the owner of the land is required to be the applicant for a Construction Certificate. However, a professional such as the architect, building designer or builder may also apply but will need to ensure the owner of the land provides consent. This can be done either on the application form or as a separate letter of authority.

When should you submit your application for a Construction Certificate?

A Construction Certificate is required after development consent is issued and before any building or subdivision work is carried out. Building work means any physical activity involved in the erection of a building, including alterations and additions.

An application for a Construction Certificate may be lodged at the same time as your DA or at any time after the lodgement of the DA.

Lodging the Construction Certificate application and DA at the same time will improve the processing time of the Construction Certificate as Council’s building surveyor will be able to undertake an assessment of your proposal while the planners are assessing the DA. A Construction Certificate cannot be issued unless the development consent has been issued and the construction certificate application is consistent with the development consent.

What information do I need to include with the Construction Certificate Application Form?

Council requires as a minimum:

  • A statement or cover letter outlining compliance with relevant development consent conditions that need to be addressed prior to the issue of a Construction Certificate;
  • Two copies of structural details for the proposal, including footing and floor slab design, framing and bracing details and other details addressing relevant Building Code of Australia requirements;
  • Two copies of specifications - specifications are a statement of building requirements describing the loading conditions, design practices, materials and finishes. Specifications are typically drafted by architect/draftsperson or specification booklets can be purchased from some newsagents;
  • Two copies of the BASIX certificate - the requirements of the BASIX certificate are also to be shown on the plans and specifications;
  • Minimum of two copies of the full Council approved architectural plans;
  • Details of the builder or statement that you will be an owner builder;
  • Home warranty insurance (if required); and
  • For subdivision – 2 copies of design/construction plans and any required documentation such as computations etc of the proposed subdivision works.

In addition to the above, some proposed works may require:

  • Copies of Compliance Certificates relied upon, such as the engineers design certificate;
  • Acoustic certification;
  • Fire safety measures and fire resisting construction detail; and
  • Alternative solution information if your proposal does not meet the “deemed to satisfy provisions” of the Building Code of Australia.