Development Types

For larger projects you will require Council approval prior to starting any work; however, some smaller projects do not require Council approval.  Work that does not require Council approval, or development consent, is called ‘Exempt Development’. 

If your proposal meets all of the development standards then you can begin work immediately.  However, if you cannot meet all the development standards then you will need to obtain approval first.

There are two approvals processes you may apply for:

  • Complying Development Certificate; or
  • Development Application.