Roads and Streets

Council Roads

Roadworks are funded from Federal and State Government grants and general revenue. Edward River Council also undertakes planned bituminous patching and periodic bitumen resealing to rejuvenate existing seals.

Council also conducts maintenance grading, gravel re-sheeting and patching of unsealed roads, as well as shoulder grading and slashing, signposting, guide-posting, bridge and culvert repairs and new construction works.


All scheduled roadworks to be undertaken will be listed here and regularly updated for your convenience.

ECM_108632_v1_Capital-Works-Renewal-2020-v2-Roads-Related-Information.pdf(PDF, 3MB)

Rural Addressing

What is Rural Addressing?

Rural Addressing is a collaborative community project administered by the Department of Lands and local governments. It is a simple, straightforward means to identify and locate rural properties throughout Australia.

Why is Rural Addressing needed?

Currently, the task of locating rural properties requires a definition such as "just a few miles past the grid" or "after the last letterbox". This has caused delays and inconvenience for emergency services and the delivery of goods and services to the community. Rural addressing provides a standardised means of locating rural properties (Australia-wide) with a system that is accurate, easy to understand, and easy to apply.

How does Rural Addressing work?

Rural addressing assigns an individual number to a property in accordance with set rules. The number is based on a distance from the starting point - usually a road intersection - with odd numbers on the left and even numbers on the right.

Road Opening Permits

Council is responsible for the whole of the road reserve and persons working within the road reserve are obligated to obtain approval before undertaking any work within the reserve. This relates not only to work on the road pavement but any area of the road reserve, including footpaths and nature-strips.

To obtain approval for work within the road reserve persons must apply for a Road Opening Permit from the Council. This application will be assessed by the relevant staff for conformity with Council policy and standards of work.

Road Classifications

Various classifications of Rural Roads exist within Edward River Council.

  • State Road - Cobb Highway and Riverina Highway are maintained and controlled by the Roads & Traffic Authority.
  • Regional Roads - Owned and maintained by Edward River Council - MR552 (Conargo Road), MR296 (Barratta Road), MR319 (Maude Road), Wakool Road and Barham Road with funding by a block Grant and repair program from the Roads & Traffic Authority.
  • Local Roads - Dedicated roads owned and maintained by Edward River Council. These are split between sealed and unsealed roads. The level of maintenance performed on roads is determined by a Road Hierarchy System which has been determined by Council.
  • Crown Roads - Roads owned by NSW State Government are administered by Department of Lands.

 Paying a Fine

The State Debt Recovery Office offers clients the ability to pay fines using credit cards of BPAY via their website.

You can access the website here:

Restricted Access Vehicles – Routes & Applications (Heavy Vehicle Routes)

Existing Routes

Heavy vehicle operations are now regulated under the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR). The Roads and Maritime Services website still provides information for heavy vehicle operators within New South Wales.

The following links provide useful information for heavy vehicle operators:

Heavy Vehicles
Permit Notices  
IAP Route Confirmation 


New Routes

The NSW Route Assessment Guide for Restricted Access Vehicles provides consistent procedures and assessment criteria to enable Road Authorities to determine the suitability of roads for freight vehicles. It provides information for applicants on what is required in their application and details the procedures followed for the assessment.

The RMS has additional guides for assessors undertaking the assessment for various Restricted Access Vehicles (RAVs). These include:

  • NSW Route Assessment Guide – Freight Route Investigation Levels

The RMS have additional guides for assessors undertaking the assessment for various Restricted Access Vehicles (RAV’s). These include:

  • Route Assessment for 14.5m buses Vehicles

Application forms for new RAV routes are given in Appendix C of the NSW Route Assessment Guide for Restricted Access Vehicles.