This handbook is designed to provide some general information to help local
government staff and contractors involved in the construction, management and
maintenance of roads and roadside areas to be more aware of the range of issues
relevant to roadside management within the Edward River Council area. This
publication is intended to be of assistance to all people involved in management of
roadsides and comes under the overarching Edward River Council Roadside
Vegetation Management Strategy.
This handbook seeks to encourage best practice which:
• Avoids damage to remnant vegetation through adherence to improved road
maintenance and construction works practices.
• Protects and enhances the environmental, amenity and cultural values of
• Accommodates functional values of road safety, fire management and utility
• Enhances awareness and knowledge of roadside issues.
• Promotes minimum disturbance techniques.
• Minimises pest plant and animal invasion and spread.
• Minimises land degradation and enhances water quality.