Home Renovations

Do you need Development approval?

Before erecting a building, or making any changes to a building or other premises such as a garage or shed, you may need to submit a development application (DA).

Visit our development types section for information on what development needs a DA and what doesn't.

If you need further assistance, please contact Council's Environmental Services team.

Department of Fair Trading

If you are having renovation or building work done on your home where the reasonable market cost of the labour and materials involved in the work is over $1,000 (including GST), you will need to engage a licensed contractor. The builder or tradesperson must enter into a written contract with you where:

  • The contract price is over $1,000 (including GST); or
  • If the contract price is not known, is for the provision of labour and materials by the contractor the reasonable market cost of which is more than $1,000 (inclusive of GST).

By law, your builder or tradesperson must give you a copy of this booklet before you enter into a contract for residential building work worth more than $5,000. The Department of Fair Trading has produce a booklet titled Consumer Building Guide that contains important information about things you should know before you sign the contract or accept a quote and it is strongly recommended that you take the time to read it.

Have you thought about Asbestos?

Buildings, houses and flats erected before the mid 1980s may contain asbestos. Examples of where asbestos can be commonly found in buildings include:

  • Fibro sheeting (commonly found in older garages, bathrooms, kitchens, laundries and external walls);
  • Roofs (including eaves and gables);
  • Vinyl tiles and backing;
  • Guttering; and
  • Drainage and flue pipes.

Find out about what you need to do to  safely remove and dispose of asbestos.

Look out for Lead Paint

Lead paint is most likely to be found in houses built before 1970. Health risks increase if the paint is flaking or chalking and the risk is particularly high if the lead paint is removed by sanding, sandblasting or burning.

Find out about the  health impacts of lead paint and what you should do to safely remove it.