NSW Planning Portal 

From 1 July 2021, we require lodgement of all Development Applications (DAs), Constructions Certificates (CCs), Complying Development Certificates (CDCs) and Section 68 Certificates to be via the NSW Planning Portal This change is in line with the NSW Government's plan for all Councils to participate in their ePlanning platform for application lodgement.

Development Applications (commonly called DA’s) are a formal request for permission to carry out a proposed development including building, subdividing, change of land use, landscaping or other works.

It is important to know how to submit a DA properly so you can get Council approval.

Application Lodgement via the NSW  Planning Portal

  • Development Applications (DA)
  • Complying Development Certificates (CDC) applications
  • Construction Certificate (CC) applications
  • Applications to modify a Development Consent (DA) or a Construction Certificate (CC)

This change is in line with NSW Government’s plan for all Councils to participate in their ePlanning platform for application lodgement.

Lodgement of Applications after this date can no longer be accepted via email or in person and must be lodged using the NSW Planning Portal website.  This means applicants will need to create an e-planning on the NSW Planning Portal website to lodge their application

Council Development Services Staff will be available to assist applicants with this process and to provide  information required to assist with lodgement of their  application by telephone or email or by appointment where required.  Please contact Councils Customer Service Centre 03 58983000 or email 

About DAs

  • Upon an acceptable assessment outcome of your proposed development, Council will issue a Development Consent under Section 4.18 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 which will outline the Conditions of Consent that you will need to meet.
  • Upon receiving your DA Approval and prior to commencing you will need to obtain a Construction Certificate for any building works and/or a Subdivision Works Certificate for any subdivision works and appoint a Principle Certifier.   


How do I lodge my application

All applications must be lodged through the NSW Planning Portal


What do I need to lodge with my application for Development

The requirements for lodging a Development Application are mandated by legislation

The following checklist lists details of all plans and specifications  which must be provided with each application and the links  to  standard forms which must be submitted with your application

Why do delays happen?

One of the most common reasons for delays in receiving approval is a lack of required information , inadequate information on plans and documentation and requirements for referrals and notification.

Council recommends engaging a suitable professional to assist in preparing your application if you are unsure of the requirements.

You will generally need, at a minimum, to employ the services of a designer or draftsperson.


Complicated proposals


For more complicated proposals, you may need the services of an architect and may also need the services of a qualified consultant town planner to prepare your Statement of Environmental Effects.

You may also need to consider engaging other professionals such as a heritage professional, traffic planner, bushfire consultant, engineer or registered surveyor.

How do I get advice before lodging my application?

  • Edward River Council  staff is available to have a prior discussion should you wish to seek advice before lodging an application. For more complex applications, a pre-lodgement meeting is recommended.
  • Initial enquiries should be directed to: or by calling 03 58983000.


How do I pay for my application?

Once you have lodged your application via the NSW Planning Portal, Council will send an invoice. You can either call in to our Customer Service Centre to pay, or pay that invoice online here using your reference code: