Roadside Grazing

Roadside grazing permits are issued for a short period of time over a specific section of road in times of drought or for hazard reduction. The permits are issued by Local Land Services (LLS) but Council must issue concurrence to the issuing of the permit. The concurrence must be obtained before lodging your application for roadside grazing with LLS. Further information about obtaining roadside grazing permits can be found on the Murray LLS website.

Council’s Roadside Grazing Policy(PDF, 125KB) details the requirements that must be met in order for Council to issue concurrence including insurance, erection of road signs, length of time stock can be grazed on the road.


You will need to complete Council’s Application for Roadside Grazing form(PDF, 502KB) and lodge with Council. No fee applies to the lodgement of the Council application. The application must be accompanied by a certificate of currency for $20 million public liability insurance naming Council as an interested party. If you are applying to graze a roadside that does not adjoin your property, the owners of the property adjoining where you are proposing to graze must sign the application form.

Once your application has been lodged Council will undertake an inspection of the area that you are proposing to graze. If conditions are suitable and all information is submitted a letter will be issued granting concurrence to LLS issuing a roadside grazing permit.  The letter will be sent to the applicant and a copy will be sent to the LLS..

You can also complete and submit the LLS forms with Council at the same time as you submit your Council application. Council will forward these to LLS. Alternatively you can submit your LLS forms directly with LLS. Fees apply to the lodgement of the application with LLS and these are to be paid directly to LLS.

Application Forms

Further Information

Please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on (03) 5898 3000 or if you have any further enquiries.